Saturday 13 July 2013

CIDER FONDUE






It was about 6 years ago, when me and my then flatmate Eb were standing in Urban Outfitters and saw a fondue pot on sale. I forget if we paid a total of 5 pounds for it or if it was 5 pounds each, but I remember wondering when we were buying it if this was going to be one of those things you buy and then it just sits in your cupboard and never gets used. There was no need for me to worry though. Plenty of cheese fondues (and one chocolate!) have since been had, so the pot has seen its fair share of action. I particularly remember Eb and I having a couple of romantic flatmate dates complete with a bottle of wine and the fondue pot, enjoyed on a blanket on the floor in some candle light.

These days though, as the pot lives with Graeme and I. Graeme doesn’t like wine (not even in a fondue!), so I’ve been trying out a few cider fondue recipes. This one with Guyere and Emmental, from BBCGoodFood is my favorite. The recipe calls for a dry cider, but if you use a relatively sweet cider, it works really well as well.



Cider fondue recipe:
1 garlic clove
250 ml dry apple cider
Juice from half a lemon
250 g Gruyere cheese, grated
250 g Emmental cheese, grated
2 tsp corn flour
Cubed Ciabatta bread, apple wedges and mushroom wedges (washed, uncooked) to serve

Directions: Halve the garlic clove, rub the inside of the pot and discard the garlic. Add cider and lemon juice, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and add the cheese, bit by bit, and whisk until melted. Add the corn flour and allow it to grow thick. Serve immediately, with the bread, apples and mushrooms ready for dipping. Blanket and candles optional.


1 comment:

  1. I've also seen some recipes out there that use beer and champagne as alternatives! Check 'em out.

    ReplyDelete