Wednesday 22 January 2014

MY BEAR MUG / SIMPLE IMAGE TRANSFER


I don't really have a massive background story for this, other than I was playing around with transferring some drawings onto porcelain, and thought I'd share how I did it. I have these pretty plain mugs I wanted to personalize a little, but I have a pretty shaky hand so I didn't want to draw directly onto my mug in case I mess it up. Drawing my design out on paper first is a lot less risky. I've seen people do this using carbon paper, but all you really need is a soft pencil and regular paper. Printer paper will do nicely.  

(1)  First I drew my image on a regular piece of paper using a soft pencil. I opted for a bear with a fez holding a cup of tea. Obviously. (2) Then I placed the design on my mug where I wanted it (with the drawn side facing the mug), and taped it in place.

(3) I then went over the design with my pencil again, applying plenty of pressure so that the image would transfer from the paper to the cup. (4) I removed the paper, and went over my bear with a porcelain pen and followed the instructions. I also decided to add a bit of detail to my bear, like fur and a knitted jumper.

And that's about it! I shall now invite my friend over for a cup of tea. 

5 comments:

  1. !!! This is the cutest thing I've ever seen! Love it!

    XOXO
    Becca | Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really good idea. I've thought about doing text on a mug.. but haven't gotten to it for fear that I would mess it up. I might have to try this! :) I love the bear! :) -Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just remember if you do text that it'll be the mirror image. Probably a good method if you want to do a specific font too though actually!

      Delete
  3. Oh fun! I want to try this.

    ReplyDelete