Tuesday 22 April 2014

HELLO SUNSHINE / A VEGETABLE GARDEN

We've had the most amazing weather lately. I've been wearing shorts and tank tops and I've even got a bit of a tan (in April, in Norway, without going to the slopes!). Graeme and I took advantage and decided to do a bit of gardening and make a vegetable patch. I've been wanting one for ages as I love the idea of growing my own vegetables. I'd love a greenhouse too someday, but that's a slightly bigger project. And seeing as we know next to nothing about gardening, a little veggie garden seemed like a good starting point!

To make our raised little vegetable patch, we found a couple of old planks of wood in my garage, cut them to size and hammered them in place. Graeme gets credit for doing most of the manual labor (which included hammering everything together with an axe, as he misplaced the hammer...), and got yet another boo-boo as he was getting it down from the garage. We then filled it with soil and planted romaine lettuce, spring onions, radishes, carrots, strawberries and a little garlic bulb that was sprouting in the fridge. Hopefully something will grow!
On a related note, the rhubarb patch is already ready to be harvested this year, so I'll need to make some rhubarb juice soon!

2 comments:

  1. This looks like such a blast! I would love to have a yard. I am considering growing a few things in containers on our balcony though. I would love to turn my black thumb slightly more green... haha :) -Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it! Ours radishes are already sprouting leaves!

    ReplyDelete