Sunday 16 November 2014

ÅSOM SEWING: SKIRT

Just thought I'd update you on what we've been making in my Åsom sewing class! For our second project, we made skirts. Everyone learnt how to make a pattern for a half-circle skirt in the class I missed, but I picked up a similar skirt pattern from Stoff & Stil. It wasn't quite a half-circle skirt, but I got a quick catch-up on how to make the patterns from scratch, so that'll be another sewing project for the future!



The skirt I made was in many ways very similar to this one I made earlier, though there were also some key differences. While the one I made earlier was based on rectangles, the pieces this pattern used were a bit curved, which I think made doing the gathering easier, as there wasn't as much fabric to deal with. The waistband was also a simpler version, as I only cut one piece of fabric and folded it over (with interfacing), rather than cutting two pieces and sewing them together. My sewing instructor commented that this was the lazy version of a waistband, but I'm still pretty happy with how it turned out. I also learnt how to attach a zipper and how to use bias binding, so my skirt even looks neat on the inside. I haven't really bothered with this in previous projects, but definitely will in the future!

4 comments:

  1. Your skirt looks great! I love the fabric you used.
    That method for the waistband may be lazy, but it's definitely the simplest and easiest way I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, think I'll keep making my waistbands like this!

      Delete
  2. So you've pretty much read my mind here! The other night I was trying to find a pattern for a cute pinafore dress, as I can't seem to find one I like in the stores (they all seem to be far too short!). And a corduroy one would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Så fint skjørt! :) Så flink du er!

    ReplyDelete